While a decade ago the majority of my time and money was spent on Etsy and clothing, now the majority of my time and money is spent on Discogs and vinyl. In the last couple years in particular, my record collection has grown almost exponentially, with new additions basically consisting of groups that make my mood and/or rabbit holes I’ve gone down that month quite obvious and traceable. And, since I basically missed the 80s and 90s while, let’s say, being sequestered in the east wing, my purchasing trends often reflect the recent deaths of musicians who were active during that period and who I’m unfortunately just discovering.
So, since I’m enjoying keeping track of the books I’ve been reading throughout the year, I thought I’d add this page to do the same for the vinyl I’ve recently collected and am listening to on repeat. Since the list could get embarrassingly long if I just listed everything I’ve bought in the year,* I’ll keep it to the Last 5 I’ve got and the Top 5 currently on my turntable, complete with links to their Discogs page (for the particular pressing I own). As with the books, I’ll bold any that I recommend. Just a warning that it’ll likely be all of them, as I do a lot of research before I buy. At the bottom is also a list of my Top Wanted vinyl – if you’re a digger and stumble upon copies of these, please let me know!
- Wardruna – Kvitravn (Fimbulljóð Productions, 2021)
- Sigur Rós with Steindór Andersen, Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson And María Huld Markan Sigfúsdóttir – Odin’s Raven Magic (Krúnk, 2020)
- Philip Glass/Robert Wilson/The Philip Glass Ensemble – Einstein On The Beach (CBS Masterworks, 1979)
- Mammút - Ride The Fire (Record Records, 2020)
- Elliott Smith – Elliott Smith (Kill Rock Stars, 2020 reissue) (Not sure why I didn’t have this album on vinyl already, but the extra disc that comes with it features a full show from 1994 that is a great treat. Forever RIP Elliott.)
- Emma Ruth Rundle – On Dark Horses (Sargent House, 2018) (We listen to this so often in our house.)
- Gyða Valtýsdóttir – Epicycle II (Sono Luminus, 2020) (My #2 album of 2020.)
- David Bowie – No Trendy Réchauffé [Live Birmingham 95] (ISO Records/Parlophone, 2020) (I add something Bowie to my collection every anniversary of his passing, and this was my choice this year.)
- YOB – Clearing The Path To Ascend (Relapse Records, 2015 repress) (The absolute perfect record, forever. YOB is love.)
- Soundgarden – Louder Than Live (A&M Records, 1990) (This is apparently a promo record but, goodness gracious, this should be widely released. It’s amazing.)