It seems that quite a few new readers have been joining us lately, so I thought I’d compile a list of little things about me to perhaps make some posts make more sense. You are of course welcome to read through the blog in its entirety from the beginning (May 2009) if you wish. In fact, I do recommend it.
1) I’m a 26-year-old Canadian who has never been outside of North America. This has directly influenced the fact that I have never been in a city that hosts a major Fashion Week, or even in a high-end label store. Hence why I never really developed a huge interest (so far) in high-end/well known designers. Except for Vivienne Westwood.
2) I became obsessed with Vivienne Westwood after the Sex and the City movie, and have the best present ever
to prove it.
3) I hold two Bachelors degrees, one in Biological Sciences, and one in Classical Languages (Ancient Greek and Latin). I am using neither of them.
4) I think I became interested in fashion largely because I’ve tended to gravitate towards jobs which require my workwear to be scrubs. And so I relish the idea of ‘dressing up’ as soon as I get home, for no reason at all.
5) My love of handmade clothing came from my obsession with searching for ‘DiY’ clothing on eBay, which stemmed from the wish to not look like every other undergrad. When most of my favorite sellers moved to Etsy, I moved as well and discovered a whole new world. I now purchase at least 90% of my clothing from the very people who created the garments.
6) I wore the most beautiful green Victorian-inspired chiffon and satin dress for my wedding. I fell in love with it and bought it before I was even engaged.
7) I got legally married in a black hoody, and have since become obsessed with replacing said hoody (as I have loved it to pieces). I believe I have finally found the answer in Alexandra Groover’s 5-hooded hoody
, now known as The Hoody.
8) My blog name, kaKofonie Of si(gh)lenS is from a band name my man made up, which I subsequently stole. It consists only of letters from my name, has my initials in uppercase, and slyly contains a Latin word (silens). I also sigh a lot in my posts.
9) My dream job is to be Björk’s personal designer.
10) If I could only listen to one band for the rest of my life, it would be Sigur Rós.
12) I absolutely hate my picture being taken, which works well since I don’t want this to become a ‘my daily outfit’ blog.